Home
 
Home
Info
Projects
Microsoft rant

Updated:
8 Mar, 2013




Members and Affiliates of the RIAA are expressly forbidden from accessing this website.

Local Time is:

DreamWeaver - The best web editor!
FireFox - the best browser
FireFox - the best browser
Notepad+++ - Dynamite text editing


  The Projects - Past and Present:

The first and most critical part of any project is getting 'buy-in' from the one who will be paying the bills, in my case SWMBO. Sometimes this is easily accomplished, and other times it takes a bit of negotiating. Getting off the ground with the CNC machine itself took some serious negotiation, and lots of promises....

The projects are listed with most recent first. You'll find the bulding of the machine project at the end.

Salt Box with a 'swing' lid
(Jan. 2013)
A close friend suggested that this might be a good project. And it turned out to be a nice little project with great results.

The wood used in this project was Walnut

  • the base is about 2" high
  • the lid is about 3/8", and has a 'dowel hinge' at one end, and a pair of rare earth magnets to keep the lid closed
  • Salt Box
    project files are available
    The 'building stages' of "The Machine"
    (21 June 2012)
    A close friend suggested that this might be a good project. And it turned out to be a nice little project with great results.

    The wood used in this project was Walnut

    The 'planning stage' of "The Machine"
    (Early June, 2010)
    Been pouring over the plans for the machine. The design for the base of the machine does not appeal to me. It is constructed from 'bolt-together' Unistrut. While this is probably a strudy base, it adds considerably to the cost, plus it may require the maintenance of going around occasionally and 'tightening' things up. Having built many workbenches from wood, I decided to go that route.

    The base will be built from wood, with the top and supporting members built from 2x6 lumber that has been thru a jointer to avoid any unevenness. The top itself will be first 'skinned' with 3/4" multi-layered birch plywood, with 3/4" MDF as the sacrificial layer. The base will be on lockable 6" wheels to allow movement within the shop. The 'Y' axis rails will be mounted directly to the plywood top (using 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 x 1/8 angle iron, lagged into the 2x6 supporting members.

    A BOM (Bill Of Materials) has been put together, and the ordering of the various parts is underway.

    The parts have been coming in almost daily. We are now buddies with the UPS guy, Doug.

    The 'discovery' of "The Machine"
    (Mid May, 2010)

    SWMBO is thinking I've lost my mind.....
    I've been reading about computer driven carving, sounds very interesting to me. The 'entrance' costs with an off-the-shelf machine were clearly noit within my reach, so I started looking at various DIY designs. There were many out there to choose from. I wanted to have a 'build' that was well supported by previous builders, and one that had some good base design drawings that could be followed. I finall settled on "Joe's 4 x 4 Hybrid".

    One of the advantages of the 'Joes' kit, is that you can order a set of pre-cut parts for some of the major parts, like the X, Y, and Z carriages. Albeit this was an additional cost, my thought was I'd have an operational machine in shorter time.






    © 1999-2013 CNC.TheMonniers.com.